|Module title||Regional And European Integration In Northern Europe|
|Module lecturer||prof. UAM dr Jarosław Jańczak|
|Faculty||Faculty of Political Science and Journalism|
Module aim (aims)
Equipping students with knowledge and competences allowing them to understand current political processes in Northern Europe, with a special focus on European Integration and regional integration among the states.
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
Fluency in English
Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: The idea and history of the Nordic Region
Week 3: Economy and social structures in the Northern Europe
Week 4: Political Systems of the Nordic Countries
Week 5: Theoretical approach to European and regional integration
Week 6: Interwar period in the North - cooperation institutionalization and international tension
Week 7: Cold war cooperation in Scandinavia - EFTA, Nordic Union, etc.
Week 8: First northern enlargement of the Communities
Week 9: Security in the North - Neutrality and NATO
Week 10: Finland and Sweden in the Union
Week 11: Northern Dimension of the EU
Week 12: Nordic cooperation inside the EU
Week 13: Nordic presidencies
Week 14: The future of the Nordic States in the EU - euro, integration deepening, sovereignty, CFSP, etc.
Week 15: Summary and conclusion
• P. Luif, On the Road to Brussels. The Political Dimension of Austria’s Finland’s and Sweden’s Accession to the European Union, Wien 1995;
• J. Paasivirta, Finland and Europe. International Crises in the Period of Autonomy 1808-1914,
• P. Pesonen and U. Vesta, Finland, Sweden and the European Union, Tampere 1998; Londyn 1981;
• P. Salomon, Scandnavia and the Great Powers 1880 – 1940, Cambridge 1997;
• European Integration and National Identity: The Challenge of the Nordic States, L. Hansen, O. Weaver (eds.), London and New York 2012;
• J. Kaute, Warming up for the EU: Iceland and European Integration, Norderstedt 2010.