|Module title||Intercultural Dialogue: Workshop|
|Module lecturer||dr Borys Szumański|
|Faculty||Faculty of Polish and Classical Philology|
Module aim (aims)
- basic issues and vocabulary related to the theory of culture and intercultural communication;
- analysis of cultural texts and situations in which intercultural content appears;
- understanding and deepening the ability to analyze values, norms and behaviors in intercultural contact;
- becoming aware of one's own cultural conditions and their influence on the perception of the world and behavior;
- gaining knowledge about the dynamics of intercultural contact and phenomena occurring at the meeting point of cultures (ethnocentrism, cultural filters, stereotypes).
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
- competence in the field of the student’s native culture;
- ability to establish and maintain contact with representatives of other cultures.
Course learning content:
|Culture and acculturation|
|Core assumptions of intercultural communication|
|Auto- and heterostereotypes|
The concept of multiculturalism
Intercultural differences in the language and texts of culture
|Analysis and interpretation of texts|
|Values, norms and behaviors in intercultural contact|
|The dynamics of intercultural contact and phenomena at the meeting point of cultures (ethnocentrism, cultural filters, stereotypes)|
- T. Hall, The Hidden Dimension, 1990.
- The Cambridge Handbook of Intercultural Communication, ed. by G. Rings, S. Rasinger, Cambridge 2020.
- Stier, Intercultural communication and intercultural competence, January 2009, „Journal of Intercultural Communication” 11.
- Cultures of Economy in South-Eastern Europe. Spotlights and Perspectives, ed. by J. Murašov, D. Beganovic, A. Lešic, Bielefeld 2019.
- Wierzbicka, Understanding Cultures Through Their Key Words: English, Russian, Polish, German, Japanese, 1997.
- Wierzbicka Cliff Goddard, Words and Meanings: Lexical Semantics Across Domains, Languages, and Cultures, Oxford 2014.
- Toury, Descriptive Translation Studies and Beyond, 1995.
- White, Maps of Narrative Practice, 2007.