|Module title||Refresher Course In Teaching English To Children|
|Module lecturer||mgr Joanna Kotowska|
|Lecturer position||senior lecturer|
|Faculty||Faculty of Educational Studies|
2 hours (90 mins) a week
The classes will take place on Thursdays at 13.15 in Międzychodzka 5, room 113. The first meeting: the 13th of October, the second meeting 3rd November.
Module aim (aims)
The aims of the course are:
- to characterise children as foreign language learners
- to develop the ability to use methods and techniques suitable for teaching English to children, including activating techniques and techniques supporting the development of learner autonomy
- to develop the ability to plan activities which aim at the development of learners’ language skills
- to develop the ability to plan and teach different types of lessons
- to develop the ability to evaluate, choose and produce own teaching materials
- to familiarize participants with ways of integrating English with other school subjects
- to familiarize participants with literature connected with teaching English to young learners
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
- Minimum language requirements: B1+ level
- Basic knowledge of pedagogy
- Ability to work in groups
- Ability to use different learning methods
- Good reading skills
Week 1: Children as language learners. Different age groups.
Week 2: The use of English as the main language of communication in the classroom. Giving instructions
Week 3-4: Classroom management, class organization
Week 4: Improving listening skills
Week 5-7 Developing learner’s vocabulary - techniques, materials, activities.
Week 8: Teaching reading
Week 9: Using songs in language teaching
Week 10: Using games in language teaching
Week 11: CLIL – Content and Language integrated teaching
Week 12: Planning a foreign language lesson for kids.
Week 13: Evaluating materials
Week 14-15: Participants’ presentations
Cameron, L. & P.McKay. Bringing creative teaching into young learner classroom. OUP
Dale, L.& R.Tanner. 2012. CLIL Activities. CUP
Deller,S. & C.Price. 2015. Teaching Other Subjects Through English. OUP
Ellis, G. and J.Brewster. 1991. The Storytelling Handbook. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
Halliwell, S. 1992. Teaching English in the Primary Classroom. Harlow: Longman.
Harmer, J. 2013. Essential Teacher Knowledge. Pearson (chosen chapters)
Nixon, C & M.Tomlinson. 2005. Primary Communication Box. CUP
Nixon, C & M.Tomlinson. 2005. Primary Pronunciation Box. CUP
Nixon, C & M.Tomlinson. 2001. Primary Activity Box. CUP
Nixon, C & M.Tomlinson. 2003. Primary Vocabulary Box. CUP
Philips, S. 1993 Young Learners, OUP
Pinter, A. 2017. Teaching Young Language Learners. Oxford
Puchta, H. & M.Willliams. 2011. Teaching Young Learners to Think. Helbling Languages
Scott, W.A. & L.H.Ytreberg. 1990. Teaching English to Children. Longman
Will, S & S.Reed. 2010. Primary Music Box. CUP: Cambridge