|Module title||Regional And European Integration In Northern Europe|
|Module lecturer||prof. UAM dr Jarosław Jańczak|
|Faculty||Faculty of Political Science and Journalism|
Monday, 11.30-13.00, Room: TV Studio (ground floor, located near the library and careteria) Collegium Politicum (Builing of the Faculty of Political Science and Journalism), Morasko Campus
Module aim (aims)
Equipping students with knowledge and competences allowing them to understand current political processes in Northern Europe, with a special focus on European Integration and regional integration among the states.
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
Fluency in English
Week 1: Introduction
Week 2: The idea and history of the Nordic Region
Week 3: Economy and social structures in the Northern Europe
Week 4: Political Systems of the Nordic Countries
Week 5: Theoretical approach to European and regional integration
Week 6: Interwar period in the North - cooperation institutionalization and international tension
Week 7: Cold war cooperation in Scandinavia - EFTA, Nordic Union, etc.
Week 8: First northern enlargement of the Communities
Week 9: Security in the North - Neutrality and NATO
Week 10: Finland and Sweden in the Union
Week 11: Northern Dimension of the EU
Week 12: Nordic cooperation inside the EU
Week 13: Nordic presidencies
Week 14: The future of the Nordic States in the EU - euro, integration deepening, sovereignty, CFSP, etc.
Week 15: Summary and conclusion
• P. Luif, On the Road to Brussels. The Political Dimension of Austria’s Finland’s and Sweden’s Accession to the European Union, Wien 1995;
• J. Paasivirta, Finland and Europe. International Crises in the Period of Autonomy 1808-1914,
• P. Pesonen and U. Vesta, Finland, Sweden and the European Union, Tampere 1998; Londyn 1981;
• P. Salomon, Scandnavia and the Great Powers 1880 – 1940, Cambridge 1997;
• European Integration and National Identity: The Challenge of the Nordic States, L. Hansen, O. Weaver (eds.), London and New York 2012;
• J. Kaute, Warming up for the EU: Iceland and European Integration, Norderstedt 2010.