|Module title||Child Abuse And Neglect In Social And Psychological Perspective|
|Module lecturer||dr Monika Zielona-Jenek|
|Lecturer position||starszy wykładowca|
|Faculty||Faculty of Psychology and Cognitive Science|
Mondays, 11.30 a.m. - 2.45 p.m.
MS Teams platform
The first lecture will be on February, 28th.
Module aim (aims)
- to provide knowledge on child abuse and neglect problem, its psychosocial determinants and consequences
- to develop skills useful for analysis and preparation of interventions aimed at preventing the problem
- to make students aware and sensitive to the ethical issues associated with making interventions in the area of child abuse
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
- basic psycholgical knowledge (or readiness to overtake it, with lecturer’s help),
- competence of reflection on surrounding social word,
- competence of discussion and work in groups.
Week 1. Child in a world of social relations.
Week 2. Social contexts and relation factors of child development.
Week 3. Etiology of child abuse and neglect - theories focused on offenders.
Week 4. Etiology of child abuse and neglect - victimolocial theories.
Week 5. Social and cultural theories of child abuse and neglect.
Week 6. Physical abuse and neglect of children.
Week 7. Sexual abuse of children.
Week 8. Emotional abuse and neglect in child care relations.
Week 9. Peer violence.
Week 10. Consequences of abuse and neglect in child’s development.
Week 11. Intergenerational transmission as a long term consequence of abuse and neglect experience.
Week 12. Disclosure and diagnosis of child abuse and neglect.
Week 13-14. Interventions in child abuse cases. Levels and strategies of prevention.
Week 15. Child as a witness in court.
Browne, K. D., Hanks, H. , Stratton, P., Hamilton-Giachritsis, C. (eds.) (2002). Early Prediction and Prevention of Child Abuse: A Handbook. London: Wiley-Blackwell.
Finkelhor, D. (2008). Childhood Victimization: Violence, crime, and abuse in the lives of young people. OUP USA.
Hove, D. (2005). Child Abuse and Neglect: Attachment, Development and Intervention. Palgrave Macmillan.
McCoy, M.L., Keen, S.M. (2009). Child Abuse and Neglect. Psychology Press.