|Module title||Anthropology of culture (AB)|
|Module lecturer||dr Aleksandra Binicewicz|
|Faculty||Faculty of Anthropology and Cultural Studies|
Module aim (aims)
The main goal is to introduce students to the classical forms of modern ethnography (historical perspective) as well as to contemporary perspectives of Anthropology (after ‘human’, after ‘ethnos’).
Students will be introduced to the notion of culture and its alternative meanings from anthropological and historical perspective.
In order to achieve these goals, students will be encouraged to take an active part in lectures by joining discussions and present their own research projects.
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
Week 1: Introduction / Overview of the Course
Week 2: History of understanding the notion of culture | anthropological dichotomies
Week 3: History of cultural research | Armchair Theorizing
Week 4: Fieldwork research | UK-USA | Social/Cultural Anthropology
Week 5: Experimenting ethnographies: the historical outline
Week 6: The Power of Interpretation: from Herodotus to Harry Styles
Week 7: Inspiration Maps: Introduction to SRP (Student Research Project)
Week 8: Interdisciplinarity: Social Sciences | Anthropology and History
Week 9: Anthropology after Ethnos
Week 10: Student Research Project (SRP): fieldwork
Week 11: Student Research Project (SRP): participant observation
Week 12: Student Research Project (SRP): narratives
Week 13: Student Research Project (SRP): microhistories
Week 14: Student Research Project (SRP): emergent
Week 15: Summary | Future Perspectives in Anthropology: discussion
· Barker Ch. Cultural Studies. Theory and Practice. SAGE: Los Angeles, London, New Dehli. 2012.
· Clifford J. “On Ethnographic Authority” in: Representations No. 2 (Spring, 1983). University of California Press. pp. 118-146.
· Darnton R. The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French Cultural History. Basic Books. New York 1984. [chosen chapter]
· Frazer J. The Golden Bough. Chancellor Press. London 2000. [chosen chapters]
· Geertz C. “Under the Mosquito Net” in: “The New York Times” September 14, 1967 issue. https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1967/09/14/under-the-mosquito-net/.
· Kmita J. “Towards Cultural Relativism >with a Small ‘R’