|Module title||General and environmental toxicology|
|Module lecturer||prof. UAM dr hab. Zbigniew Adamski|
|Lecturer position||University professor|
|Faculty||Faculty of Biology|
Lectures: 20h, laboratories: 25h, minimum 6 students, 1 laboratory group
Module aim (aims)
1. Presentation of sources of anthropogenic pollution (metals, pesticides, fossil fuel combustion products) and natural toxins (bacterial toxins, mycotoxins, plant toxins, animal toxins, animal venoms). Transferring knowledge about their impact on humans and the environment, from the cellular level to the community level.
2. Transfer of knowledge on the methods of toxicological data analysis. Introduction to toxicological research.
3. Transfer of knowledge on avoiding poisoning and detoxification methods.
4. Introduction to food toxicology, forensic toxicology, and cosmetology toxicology.
5. Knowledge and skills in the field of laboratory ecotoxicological research.
6. Developing the ability to work in a laboratory team.
7. History of toxicology - famous cases of human poisoning and ecosystem pollution.
Pre-requisites in terms of knowledge, skills and social competences (where relevant)
Basic knowledge regarding inorganic and organic chemistry, cell biology, human physiology, morphology, and taxonomy of organisms.
1. Basic terms in toxicological sciences.
2. Measurement of toxic effects, and classification of toxicity.
3. Target organ toxicity.
4. Methods of intoxication and detoxification.
5. Characteristics of toxicity of elements and compounds: metals, aromatic hydrocarbons, sulfur, fluorine, chloride compounds, pesticides, dioxins, natural toxins (bacterial toxins, mycotoxins, plant toxins, animal toxins, animal venoms).
6. Toxic effects toxicants and toxins on selected species and the whole environment.
7. Famous cases of poisoning in human history.
8. Sound cases of environmental pollution and their effects on ecosystems.
9. Toxic substances in our surroundings (food, household chemicals).
10. Basic toxicological tests used in laboratories.
Walker C.H., Silby R.M., Hopkin S.P., Peakall D.B. Principles of Ecotoxicology. CRC Press.
Newman M.C. Fundamentals of Ecotoxicology. CRC Press.
Yu S.J. The Toxicology and Biochemistry of Insecticides. CRC Press.